Part 2 – Travelling To The New Hutch
Remember change can be very stressful for pets, especially for prey animals like guinea pigs. It is recommended that you should not travel with your piggies for more than two hours at a time. This is so that you can make sure whee stop to eat and drink at whee will very likely be too afraid to do that while in a moving vehicle.
Allowing us to sit on a seat in your car is extremely dangerous. Naturally whee will want to explore which can be distracting to the driver. If you were to hit the brakes or be in an accident then nothing would be there to protect us.
Just like children, whee animals should be restrained in the back seat where whee are safe from the air bag in the front.
You should also not travel with us in cages unless there is absolutely no other option. You may think you are being kind giving us all that space to roam around but in reality you would be risking us getting a serious injury with efurry turn. If your piggy has no other option but to travel in a cage remove all heavy objects from it and put in cozy blankets and towels to protect us and break our falls.
The best option for us is a well-ventilated pet carrier. There are plenty of great carriers sold a lots of different pet stores on online. If you cannot find a large enough pet carrier whee would recommend a small cat cage/carrier as a great alternative. Make sure whee get used to the carrier before the trip by having us eat treats like vegetables in there to associate it with good things.
When travelling, make sure the carrier is fully secured and nothing can fall on us
Whee hope this helps you travelling with your piggies!
Nacho, Noah, Buddy & Basil
As whee all know, pets are considered to be part of the family so when the family decide to move, pets are taken into consideration.
Part 1 – Packing and Preparing
- Our first tip is to confine us to one room while you pack and try to do most of it out of that room. Change is scary for us and whee won’t be the most helpful packers!
- Make sure whee have our favourite toys, bedding and food. Don’t wash our things for a little while, so that it has some familiar smells to go with the unfamiliar, new ones.
- If whee are not used to travelling in a carrier, make sure whee become more accustomed to it as quickly as possible as this will reduce moving day stress.
- One of our fears will likely be that whee aren’t coming with you, so give us loads of attention and reassurance before, during and after the move.
- If you’re really concerned about us during the move then it may be worth moving us to a friend’s house until you are settled but this could be furry disruptive and scary for us, moving multiple times so use this as a last resort.
- Whee piggies like our routines, so try to stick to the normal routine for as long as possible in the lead-up to the move and then get back into it as quickly as you can in your new home, especially in terms of when they are fed.
Whee hope this helps hoomans who are moving with piggies 🙂
Have a great day
Nacho, Noah, Buddy & Basil