How To Tame Guinea Pigs?
This is something Mummy is asked a lot and has seen asked on a forum she visits so she decided it was time to do a post on it. How you can tame your piggies. This is the method she uses, it won’t work for everyone and you do need to adapt it depending on how your piggy reacts and behaves at different stages but whee hope this helps and gives you ideas.
Over to you Mummy!
Thanks piggies. Firstly, I have to tell you, my taming method is a slow process. It’s all about positive reinforcement and gaining their trust. Some piggies will never fully settle or be fully tame, it’s a matter of pigsonality. This is the step by step guide of what I did when I brought Nacho home and when Noah joined him.
– First, whenever I was on the phone, I sat next to the cage for my conversations to get them used to the sound of my voice in a situation where when they weren’t the focus of my attention.
– After three or four days of this, I did the same but with the cage open.
– Then when they were brave enough to peek out at me (I think this took two days) I changed so I was talking to them softly and had my hand on the edge of the cage holding a piece of spinach or parsley. Parsley got their attention more but it’s all about what is your piggies favourite. After four attempts over four days, they came and grabbed a mouthful.
– Slowly I worked with letting them eat from me and then putting my other hand in the cage next to them. (over two days)
– Then I used the hand not holding the veggie to stroke them gently. (again over two days)
– Then, even when they were a little skitty I got them out every day to handle and snuggle them. As they were little, I cuddled them in an old beanie hat. For bigger piggies a blanket, or fleecy jumper will work well. You can buy or make your own cosies too. When you have them out, feed them a little herb treat or piece of veg to build their confidence. Now when they see the beanie they know there is a positive experience or treat on the way so don’t seem to mind coming out. In fact they really enjoy it!
I hope this helps some people learn how to tame their piggies!
Posted on October 20, 2013, in Piggy Blogs and tagged cute guinea pig, guinea pig blog, guinea pig blogger, how to get to know your guinea pig, how to tame a guinea pig, how to tame a nervous guinea pig, pet blog, pet blogger, taming guinea pig, what to do with a nervous guinea pig. Bookmark the permalink. 34 Comments.